Selecting Printer Paper
5 Important Qualities to Look for When Purchasing Printer/Copier Paper
Buying paper and office supplies can seem routine, however, these simple choices matter. Choosing the right paper can help save time and money, as well as ensure the quality of documents.
So, what exactly should you look for in copy paper?
"There are many different performance attributes and categories of paper," said Sarah Yedlick, Boise Paper office expert. "It's important to consider all factors of your paper before making a purchase to avoid unwanted paper jams, reprints, ink smears and just downright low-quality."
Here are the five qualities to look for in paper before deciding what is right for you:
- Brightness - The brighter the paper, the greater the contrast between the printed image and the paper. Most office papers are between 92 and 98 on the brightness scale. Using a paper with a higher brightness makes colors more vibrant and appealing - giving graphics and images the appearance of "popping" off the page. Choose a higher brightness level for important presentations or documents with color graphics.
- Thickness - Also known as caliper, the thickness is an important characteristic to consider when choosing paper because it determines the sturdiness of the sheet. The majority of everyday printer paper has a 20 lb. weight. Heavier weights, such as 24 lb. and 28 lb., provide more durability, stiffness and opacity for printed material. Choose a higher thickness for resumes or other important documents, or if you want to do a lot of double-sided printing.
- Jam-free guarantee - Nothing is more annoying than a jammed printer. Look for a paper that offers a jam-free guarantee when making a paper purchase. Without this, you risk running into issues at the printer when you least expect it.
- Run-ability - The way paper prints and copies doesn't just have to do with the machine, it also has to do with the paper itself. Look for a paper that has consistent performance and excellent run-ability to make the most of your printer and inks.
- Made in the U.S.A. - Papers that are made in the U.S.A., like Boise Paper, keep jobs and dollars in local communities and also adhere to rigorous quality and manufacturing standards.
"If these paper qualities are confusing, there is a simple shopping solution," said Yedlick. "Choose Boise X-9 or Boise ASPEN - America's Top Selling Brand - to receive paper with quality you can trust."
For more information about paper attributes to be aware of when looking for quality you can trust, visit www.BePaperSmart.com.
Be sure to check out our large selection of office supplies including copier/printer paper at McKay Company--Stop in to our store or shop online!